Saturday, April 18, 2009

Absurdly difficult

I’m now in my last trimester at school and within four months to the closing of my Peace Corps service. Up until about two weeks ago, I was super all about staying in my community and trying to push these projects forward. At the end of the previous trimester though I had a bit of an epiphany – I realized I cared more about these projects than anyone else in my community… by a long shot. It takes a lot to get people interested in new ideas or thinking outside the norm or, to refer the general theme of Bananadog, to try new things. Bananadog was a solo project though. That only took the ambition of essentially one person to get that started and finished. But when you try to take that energy and focus it into a community that isn’t used to trying new things… it is absurdly difficult. Of course, working with people anywhere is difficult. This is probably why we have conflict and war - it’s always easier to try to eliminate that which is different than you are, than to try to make amends. Well, go Peace Corps! That’s what it’s all about – you come here, you live your life like you’re used to living, then you get frustrated because people here don’t think like you do, but you suck it up and deal with it for two years. Then move on and hold on to these two years the rest of your life.

I’m not sure where I’ll move on to from here. But I have four months to figure it out.
Time’s a ticking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well put. I am thinking of you :)

Senor Tango said...

Me too man! Keep your head up, I know you will. You rock!